Annamaria Petrozza leads the Advanced Materials for Optoelectronic Group since October 2013 and is the Coordinator of the Cenetr of Nano Science and Technology in Milan.
Her research is focused on the development of sustainable optoelectronic technologies which can be extensively integrated in the everyday life. She got the “Innovators Under 35 Italy 2014” award by the MIT Technology Review for her pioneering work on metal halide perovskites. She has been selected among the “Emerging Investigators 2017” by the Royal Society of Chemistry. In 2017 Annamaria received the highly competitive European Research Council Cosolidator grant, a 2.2M Euros award to support excellent and disruptive science. In 2022 she was awarded the "Innovation in Materials Characterization Award" by the Materials Research Society.In 2022 she also got the Distinguished Scientist Fellowship from the KSU. Since November 2022 she is a Fellow of Roayal Society of Chemistry.
She is in the editorial board of Advanced Energy Materials (Wiley) and Energy&Enviromental Science (RSC). From February 2019 to February 2020 she served as associated editor at "Sustainable Energy & Fuels" (Royal Society of Chemistry). Currently she serve as senior editor at "ACS Energy Letters" (American Chemical Society).
Annamaria Petrozza was awarded a Master of Science in Electronic Engineering (emphasis on Devices, design and modelling) at Ecole Supèrieure d’Electricité (Paris, France) in 2003 under the T.I.M.E. (Top Industrial Manager in Europe) program. In 2004 she got a Master degree in Electronic Engineering (emphasis on Optoelectronics) at Politecnico of Milan. In 2008 she received her PhD in Physics from the University of Cambridge (UK) with a thesis on the study of optoelectronic processes at organic and hybrid semiconductors interfaces under the supervision of Dr. J.S. Kim and Prof Sir R.H. Friend. From July 2008 to December 2009 she worked as research scientist at the Sharp Laboratories of Europe, Ltd on the development of new market competitive solar cell technologies (Dye Sensitized Solar cells/Colloidal Quantum Dots Sensitized Solar cells). Her main tasks were to establish key needs of PV market, write research proposals to submit to the Sharp Business Group, and design and implement experiments. In 2010 she joined the newly founded Center for Nano Science and Technology (CNST) of IIT in Milan.
The research activities are mainly focused on the investigation of the physics behind low cost "future generation" photovoltaic concepts and on the development of associated optoelectronic devices.
The research group she leads is active in fundamental studies on light harvesting and charge generation processes, charge transport and recombination processes at organic and hybrid interfaces, whilst improving the state-of-the-art device concepts in terms of absolute performance. To achieve so the team deals with materials synthesis and processing, materials characterization and devices design and testing.
On going projects
- "PERovskite SEmiconductors for PHOtoNics (PERSEPHONe) -Marie Skłodowska Curie Action European Training Network (2021-2025)- Network Coordinator and PI https://persephoneitn.eu/
- "Flexible X-ray detectors for large area imagers: towards consumer electronics" (FLE-X) ERC Proof of Concept (2020-2021).
- "Study of carrier transport in MAterials by time-Resolved specTroscopy with ultrashort soft X-ray light" (SMART-X) -Marie Skłodowska Curie Action European Training Network (2020-2024)
- "The role of Softness in the Physics of Defects: Probing Buried Interfaces in Perovskites Optoelectronic Devices" (SOPHY) - ERC-2017-COG (2018-2023) - https://sophyerc.eu/
- "Perovskite Thin-film Photovoltaics" (PERTPV) - H2020-LCE-07-2017 (2018-2021) - https://pertpv.web.ox.ac.uk/home
- "European School on Artificial Leaf: Electrodes & Devices (eScaled) - Marie Skłodowska Curie Action European Training Network (2018-2022)
- "Making Perovskites Truly exploitable" (MAESTRO) - Marie Skłodowska Curie Action European Training Network (2017-2021) - https://maestro-itn.eu/#
The group is currently hosting the following Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships
- PERovskIte Coherent Light Sources (PERICLES) - PI Dr Daniele Cortecchia
- Bandgap tunable perovskites for Organic poLLutAnts removal in water (BOLLA) - PI Isabella Poli
- Fully Air-Processable and Air-Stable Perovskite Solar Cells Based on Inorganic Metal Halide Perovskite Nanocrystals (FASTEST) - Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships, PI:Dr Min Kim ( 2017-2019)
- Quantum Light Spectroscopy of Polariton Lasers (QUANTUM-LOOP) - Marie Skłodowska-Curie Global Fellowships - PI: Dr Ajay Ram Srimath Kandada (2016-2019)
- PEROVSKITE OPTOELECTRONICS - MSCA-RISE-Marie Skłodowska- Curie Research and Innovation Staff Exchange (2015-2019)
- "Dye Sensitized solar cells with enhanced stability" (DESTINY) – Marie Curie Initial Training Network (2012-2016). http://www.destiny-itn.eu/
- " Meso-superstructured Hybrid Solar Cells " (MESO) - FP7-NMP-2013-SMALL-7 (2013-2016)
- “Green nanomaterials for next-generation photovoltaics (GREENS)” - Fondazione Cariplo (2014-2016)
- "IperLuce" - Fondazione Cariplo (2015-2017)
- " SupramolecularlY eNgineered arCHitectures for optoelectRonics and photONICS: a multi-site initial training action (SYNCHRONICS) - Innovative Training Networks (2015-2018)
- “Probing Hybrid Interfaces of High Performance Solid-State Solar Cells” The Royal Society International Exchanges Scheme 2012/R2 (2013-2014) - in collaboration with Dr H.J. Snaith (University of Oxford).
2022 Innovation of Materials Characterization - Materials Research Society
2018- 2022 Highly Cited Researcher (cross field) – Clarivate Analytics
2017 Royal Society of Chemistry- Emerging Investigators 2017
2013 “Innovators Under 35 Italy 2014”, MIT Technology Review – Italian Section
2008 Scholarship “Fondazione Angelo della Riccia”, Switzerland
2008 “Lundgren Award” - University of Cambridge, UK
2007-2008 “Atkinson Scholarship” Clare College, University of Cambridge, UK
2004-2007 EPSRC PhD Fellowship, Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK
2004 “Vaudo Prize”- Best Master Thesis - Rotary Club Milano, Italy
2001-2003 T.I.M.E – Top Industrial Managers of Europe - Master scholarship, Italy